Wednesday, February 18, 2009

1st Year vs. 2nd Year


I'm coming close to the end of my second year and in a moment of reflection at the bus stop a few days ago I've come to a conclusion, my 2nd year was a lot better than my first.


First year was stressful. I didn't know how to write a well organized paper in MLA format (it's still hit or miss at times, haha!) Not a lot (if any) of my friends were going to Nipissing and everywhere I looked people clung to groups of people they knew. Making a friend took serious effort. I managed though and the friends I made in first year became people I could see myself keeping in touch for life. They become more than those people you know and talk to in the halls and never really make plans outside of lectures.


Second year, you're more relaxed. The best way I can describe it is by comparing it to high school. Being a grade nine in a school you knew nobody compared to being in grade 11 where you're completely relaxed with little stress. You know people, professors and places. You have a non-committed routine where you do what you want without worrying about the unknown of university.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed first year, but I'm told that first year is the year most people drop out of school. I can understand why but if you can make it into your second year, you're pretty much set.

No comments: