Sunday, August 10, 2008

6 / (1 - (3 / 4)) = amount of days left!


With only a little over three weeks left until lectures start I've found myself going through the annual devoted promises I usually make. The ones where I say I'm not going to procrastinate, make extra effort in areas where it lacks and even improve on certain aspects of my life. Will it happen? Probably not.

I did have a huge scare last year with procrastinating though, which has helped me. I was in first-year with two papers due during the same week, one for History of the Modern World and the second for Intro to English. I had only thought up a thesis for my history paper and had yet to finish the novel for English with only a week left until the due date. I was still fine though, seven days is a long time, right? Not when your trying to keep up a life. It was three days before the deadline when I started to panic. I had to finish 'Life of Pi,' the novel we were reading but to be honest, I wasn't that into it. It was a great book at the start but how long can you stay interested in a novel where the setting for the majority of the book is on a lifeboat and the two characters cannot carry a conversation 'cause one is a tiger? I was glad to finish it, nothing against Yann Martel but to me survival stories tend to lag in the middle.

With the novel finished I felt exhausted and I hadn't even started the paper! I was two days to the deadline and I was going through the 'I'm never going to do this to myself again' stage. Two days, two papers. I could do it!

I got sick. A full on flu hit me. At first I thought it was all in my head, trying to give me an excuse to not have to devote more time to my papers, until the fever took away what little time I had left. Monday arrived, the papers were due. I had finished my history paper but I wasn't confident about my thesis (a bad habit of mine) and my English paper only had an introduction.

I hate handing something in late, it makes me feel guilty. A day later I handed in my English paper, that agonizing feeling before the confrontation with the Professor as I had to admit that I didn't make the deadline. In all though I received good marks in the 70's for both papers but they could have been better if I had taken the time, obviously.

So I'm not going to procrastinate this year! Pinky promise, haha!

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer breaks and the answer to the equation, for those of you who don't care to figure it out is 24!

Later!

No comments: