Tuesday, August 26, 2008

For Lack Of A Better Title ...


I thought I'd share this, it happened to me last year (during my first year) at Nip. I wrote it in a note on Facebook and figured it would be ok to post it here ...

I'm part of NUSA (Nipissing University Student Ambassadors) and as a member I do a lot of volunteer services for the school, one such event is being part of the Phone Campaign where we call students who have applied to Nipissing. We call them, make sure everything on their application is ok, and then answer any questions they have.

This one day (the last day of the campaign) I was extremely tired as I put in a 12 hour day of lectures/activities and forgot it was the last day. I called a house and my luck I got an answering machine. Not pretty. I hate answering machines. The beep goes off, I swallow and begin to talk. I guess I swallowed too hard 'cause I had that 'I need to cough feeling' which I ignore. I keep talking, but my voice became extremely strained. This was the conversation (not exactly word for word):

(answering machine beep)

Me: Hey, my name is (enter my 'real' name here) and I'm calling from Nipissing University (my voice becomes strained) and I'm calling for (insert name here).

Everything after that was distorted and not able to tell what I was saying as I was hacking/coughing/choking. I hung up. Nobody had to know, right? Somebody else would call. Wait, wasn't this the last day? I go and talk to Heather, the person in charge and she states that contact information has to be given.

Damn. I had to call back. I could ignore it though, put the file away and 'forget' to call back ... No. No, I can't.

(answering machine beep)

Me: Hey ... me again (laughs because of nerves) from Nipissing University. Yeah, sorry about the coughing, I had something in my throat, I'm not very good with answering machines, because I tend to ramble, which I'm doing now, so I guess I should stop and I will. Anyways, yeah, sorry. I was calling for (insert name here) and just wanted to say that we're calling to answer any questions, but your not home obviously, unless your screening, but I don't think you are 'cause why would you screen when its a University calling that you applied for, but I'm going to stop now. It's the last day so we won't be calling back. Bye.

NO! CONTACT INFORMATION! GIVE THE CONTACT INFORMATION.

(answering machine beep)

Me: Me again. Yeah, I lied. 'Cause I'm calling back. I forgot to give you our contact information if you did have any questions. I'm really embarassed. My e-mail is (insert school e-mail here) well, not MY e-mail 'cause that would just be awkward (I start to laugh because of my nerves again) and the phone number, the schools that is, is (insert number here) and call if you have any questions, and thanks for bearing with me, and sorry. Our English program is better than what I make it out to be by me ... talking? haha, ok, I have to stop talking now. Bye.

That was pretty much how it went. The better story went out to those who I told it to right away. But let it be known, I don't leave messages on answering machines.

While I'm finishing this up I should say something about NUSA. It's a great way to fill time! It's really fun, you get to meet a lot of people and it's mostly all volunteer activities, suchas the Christmas Parade ... sort of like a spirit committee (only not). If you sign up at club week you'll get e-mails often of when they could use your help and you only have to help out when you can, no pressure or obligation! Well ... unless you say you'll help out for a certain event, then your committed and it's not cool to back out after that.

Later!

3 comments:

Fraffy said...

haha yeah I just finished season 2 so I cannot wait until season 3. Of course they play it on the monday when I have class until 9:30pm so I guess ill be just staying up til midnight that day every week to watch it :D.

Holly Ann Garnett said...

I laughed out loud (literally) when I read this. At least the person on the other end knows that you care, seemings as you called back three times. If I was a prospective students, I would be impressed!
Holly

Nicole Ankenmann said...

Apparently this is a popular entry! I also laughed aloud, to the unexplained confusion of my quietly studying roommate (whose arched and furrowed eyebrows only served to fuel my laughter). I think you re-told the tale just perfectly. (Not that I had heard it before a few minutes ago.... I'm sure it was hilarious at that time as well...)