Sunday, November 9, 2008

Willing To Take A Bullet?


I like to think I stand up for what I believe in to a point where I'm willing to take a bullet if it could help the world progress further.

What do I stand up for? The basics: people who can't help themselves because of violation to their rights, the environment, animals and anything else that I believe in! Granted I've never tied myself to a tree or anything too radical compared to what others have underwent, but if I had the chance to in a situation, yeah, I would.

I heard about Proposition 8 about a month ago, it managed to find its way to my ear through some way ... I want to say the news but I could be wrong. Not important. What is important is that I was disgusted with the fact that after making the leap to allowing gay marriage, the state of California took it back!

There are many things I could say right now, but an example when I went looking for it was best expressed by a singer, Melissa Etheridge. I logged on to my computer today and a bunch of headline popped up and one was a link to her statement on her opinion of Prop. 8 (which if you're unsure, Prop 8 was a proposition to make same-sex couples unable to marry in the state of California, and to not recognize all the same-sex marriages licensed already issued)

In her blog, Melissa brings up the fact that she shouldn't have to pay taxes as she is not given the same rights as a citizen. Granted, this is taking it far, especially if she's serious and intends not to give the state any money come tax season, but I have to congratulate her on this one! Instead of just attacking the proposition she actual made a point which hits, if the state won't give her the rights of a person, what right do they expect to impose a tax on her?

I'm a strong believer in same-sex rights and am thankful to be living in a country where citizen's are given more freedom than a lot of places in the world.

Edit - If anyone would like to read the blog, here's the link to what I've read: http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-11-06/you-can-forget-my-taxes

1 comment:

athena said...

awesome! way to go melissa ethridge!