Thursday, November 20, 2008

Extracurriculars Defining My (University) Life


I think it might be from the lack of school spirit I had in high school, I never really had the "pep" that spurred in everyone else before a football game, or even the annual East-West. Now, however, I can't seem to stop.

Last year (my first year) I started with Frontier. It's an organization where we help promote literacy by helping out with one-to-one tutoring or homework clubs in elementary schools around the city. This year I made it as an executive and help organize and plan everything, something I love doing, if only for the fact that it makes you feel more involved. I'm also debating going into teaching so this is valuable experience to add to the list plus it helps with the decision of whether or not this is what I want to do with my life.

As well as Frontier, in my first year of University I became involved with NUSA (Nipissing University Student Ambassadors) Pretty much we represent Nipissing by helping out the community in tons of ways.

All these (and more, I just didn't want to bore you too much by listing more) plus classes and I still find myself looking for more. I can't understand those who don't do anything. I mean, why just pay for an education? I have friends that go, "I really should do this," and never do! Then they complain that they're bored or tired of not doing anything! It annoys me!

Make something of you're university life 'cause if you don't, you'll regret it. I wish I was more involved in high school, thankfully I have another chance in university. Don't waste this time! Getting involved really is fun, you meet tons of people, some who will be your friends for your entire life and you gain experience and a few contacts.

No comments: