Monday, November 10, 2008

OCD'ing


I have a problem.

Actually, it's not really a problem since I think everyone should have a bit of an obsessive compulsive disorder. Mine varies, I'm not terrified of germs but I like things organized and clean. I can let things get a bit messy, but after the activity which caused that mess is done, it needs to be cleaned up. My binders are organized, my music files in my computer or separated into folders by genre and playlists and I can't write on a paper that is crinkled or has a crease that isn't symmetrical. Actually, I'm compared a lot to Monica from "Friends," but I'm nowhere near that controlling.

My OCD even plays a part with this blog, I guarantee you once I post this (even though I proof read) I'll have to edit this entry about five times before I'm okay with it. Then once I am, I have to leave it alone and am afraid I'll find other mistakes with it.

Last year in a History of the Modern World seminar, I pulled my text book out of my bag and noticed the front cover was creased. A flood of emotions ran through my mind and a look of shock (as though I just had my arm sliced off) froze on my face. After it passed I checked the the price tag to see how much I paid for so I could go buy another one later that day. My friend came to the rescue and traded books with me to which I was extremely grateful (after I had to check the book to make sure she didn't highlight anything)

What I hate is when people find this out about me and test the waters with it. Back in grade 11 a friend of mine found out and grabbed my binder and quickly took a handful of noted inside and squeezed them together to make them all crinkled. I'll admit I wanted to cry, but I didn't because the anger came on too quickly after the shock lifted.

Does anybody else have an OCD? Something that you have to do, not because it's required but because you can't continue without doing it? I think though often OCD's hold you back from completing a task more quickly, it does make the job more efficent and is just a way to strive for some sort of perfection.

What's so wrong about that?

No comments: