Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Wish Worth A Risk?


MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Or if you prefer, Happy Holidays! I hope everyone is enjoying this time of the year either way! ... as opposed to all other periods of the year when I don't particularly care. Haha, kidding!

I was spending the day with family, as I usually do at Christmas, and tonight we had our turkey dinner when I noticed the wishbone was set to the side. As a child I held in the superstitious belief that came with the wishbone. One person takes one end, another person takes the other, they make a silent wish and pull. When the wishbone snaps, the person with the biggest part at the tip wins their wish! And I started thinking, when I was a kid I thought of it in a different light than I do now. When I was little I believed that I was risking a wish. If I made a wish while committing to the procedure, that wish was at risk. Only one person wins when snapping a wishbone, so obviously one person loses!

If I lost, I believed that because I put the wish that I made out there in the void (where it would wait to be answered by some magic) that if I lost, that wish would be lost and would therefore not come true. In my mind, it was hit or miss. Was the wish worth the risk of having it not answered? This wasn't some birthday cake wish, here you were in a competition and only one wish was going to be answered. Was the wish I was risking worth not coming true? Or should I hold off? 50/50 chance.

Just something I thought about this Christmas, the inner superstitious thoughts of my mind as a child.

No comments: