Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Couple


When I was a kid and I first discovered that "a couple" meant two, I disagreed. I agreed "a few" equals to three, a single object was one, but "a couple" wasn't two.

It still bothers me. In my head "a couple" is four. Two groups of two. That's a couple. I know, it doesn't work in the sense that when two people get together they're referred to as a couple, two people. I've heard the arguments and I still don't agree.

I also disagreed with the way my grade one teacher spelt "apple" one time and we fought over it until she realized that she was actually wrong! Maybe that screwed me up, the fact that it's proof that when I think I'm right, I usually am. I'm usually not by the way, but at this age I thought I was quite often. This was around the time that I learnt "a couple" was referred to as two, so I was probably in that mindset and haven't been able to shrug the stubbornness of the topic off.

If it gives me credit, I agree that it's universally accepted that "a couple" equals two, I just don't agree.

No comments: