Thursday, January 22, 2009

Passionate of being passionate? (Self-analysis warning!)


*A warning, this entry contains elements of self-analysis (meaning it may be very boring if you're not me)

I have a slight problem. I've been questioning some issues I'm having and trying to determine what's wrong here.

The best way I can explain it is by comparing myself with the Duke Orsino from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. In it he is obsessed with Olivia, a Countess. He seemingly ignores his responsibilities and duties of his title for this woman (no, my dilemma I face is not over someone else) See, it turns out he was in love with the idea of love.

I like to think I'm passionate over school but lately it's not enough. I'm currently studying the Victorian novels in my British Literature lecture, a subject I should be thrilled about focusing on! Am I? Not so much. The lectures are interesting, my professor is extremely knowledgeable and gives insights that make the novels more intriguing.

But I'm not feeling it like I want to.

Am I passionate about being passionate? Is that a problem? I know I love the Victorians (I'm a nerd like that) but what happens when you're not enjoying something you love? Sure, life complications outside of school have been more distracting lately, but I always thought I could fall back on what I really enjoy to cheer me up.

These seem like harmless questions on the surface but when I start to dig deeper in this self-analysis I wondering if I even should be in school at the moment. I don't want to go to lectures for a good grade, I want to go to be passionate about literature. If I'm not at the moment should I take a year off, or will this pass?

Shakespeare lectures, however, are AMAZING. But one three credit course can't be the tie-breaker in an important decision. I was thinking of repeating second year. Can you repeat a course even if you already have the credit? I know it's not the greatest way to spend money but if it helps to become passionate again it might be worth it.

No comments: